Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Power, Authority & Governance

My topic for the research article was power, authority & governance. I thought this assignment was really useful because the article guided me and helped me create a good lesson for students. The article explained that using documents was a good way for students to learn more about government so I focused on document analysis in the activity.  




To go along with the activity I have picked out some websites students can visit, along with books that can be utilized for the lesson. Also a charlie brown episode that explains the beginnings of the United States government! 
The book I chose to go along with the lesson is pictured to the left. It is called "How the U.S Government Works" by Syl Sobel. Here is a review of the book from senate.gov:
"Explains why government is necessary ("Can you imagine what your school would be like if each class had rules that were different from the rules in other classes? . . . And what if the school had no principal?"). Then goes on to describe what the three branches of government do. Readers learn how officials are elected or appointed and how government agencies work for the benefit of the people."













No comments:

Post a Comment