Friday, December 7, 2012

What's Happening Now?


I think that TweenTribune would be a good source for younger students, who are just beginning to explore the news and current events. I think it would be good as an introduction to current events, but I think I would add some sort of project to go along with it. Instead of just commenting on articles, I think The TweenTribune did not update their news stories enough for my liking. I think using a local newspaper for students to read would be a more effective way of teaching current events. For young students, I think it is hard to relate to world news or even national news. A lot of the articles were on the election, I know as a child I never cared about the presidential election, it just was not something that interested me or that I could relate to. By having students use local newspapers, they can learn more about where they live, the events that go on in their towns and what is happening around them. I think students would be more interested in that because it would be meaningful to them. 


Overall, I think TweenTribune could be better. I like how the comments had to be approved, many regular online newspapers do not have this option and many of the comments have foul language. I did like that aspect. However, some of the news stories I did not think students could relate to, or were very meaningful. For my own classroom, instead of TweenTribune, New York Times has an education section, for older students where they could write opinions and read stories that they can relate to. I would have students read assigned articles once a week and then write an opinion. I would also encourage students to share their opinions and have debates from time to time. I like the New York Times better than the TweenTribune because it posts a lot of new articles everyday, and it includes not just articles. There are puzzles, quizzes and blogs students could read as well. For younger students, I would use local newspapers so that they can learn about things that are more familiar with. I also looked through the current events article about different ways to teach current events. I liked the news mapping one where students can map out stories  based on their location. Also, the A-Z adjective. Students can practice English and grammar while still learning about the news.



Click Here to look at the education blog by The New York Times, and I also liked the list of ideas posted here as well!!




No comments:

Post a Comment